• Delivery to Store
  • No Minimum Order
  • Free Delivery on Orders over £50
  • Prices include VAT

You are here

Barbecue safety tips for those warm summer days

Barbecue season is here so we’ve put together some top safety tips so you can have an accident free and enjoyable grilling experience.

Always keep your barbecue in a well ventilated area

Read the manual: The first step to barbecue safety is having a properly assembled barbecue and knowing how to use it correctly.

Correct fuel: Don’t burn logs or coal on a barbecue only designed for charcoal. Never use wood, charcoal or gasoline with a gas barbecue. This could damage your barbecue, cause a fire or make it overheat causing a burn hazard.

Positioning: Keep your barbecue in a well ventilated area so the smoke won’t create a problem. Keep well away from doors and windows to prevent smoke filling the house and risking carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure nobody is sitting or standing directly in the smoke.

Location:  You should place the barbecue on flat ground away from plants, trees, sheds, children, garden games and pets. Be aware of any trailing plants or overhanging branches that could dip into the barbecue, steal a sausage and then set the fence on fire.

Protect yourself: It’s time to get your apron and oven gloves out. Use long handled tongs for removing cooked food and avoid wearing loose clothes near the barbecue – a long sleeve or skirt blowing in the wind are all just extra fuel to a barbecue.

Finishing off:  Let coal, wood and ashes cool down completely before you clean the barbecue. If you’re throwing ashes in the bin, make sure they have cooled first to prevent a fire.

Clean it: Ensure your barbecue is free of grease and fat. Keeping your barbecue as clean as possible is imperative to the safety of your food. It can also prevent flare ups and dangerous, spitting fats.

Visit the Fire Service website for a comprehensive guide to the safety of all the different types of barbecue.

Visit the Gas Safety Register for more information on how to prevent and spot carbon monoxide poisoning.